8.29.2006

three more weeks and the rest of my life

Sometime in June, amiga Chris decided that it would be a good idea for us to train for a half-marathon. I, in a rare easy-going do-whatever-you-want-me-to-do moment, agreed. Nevermind that I have been telling the ex-roommate for years that it is one of my life goals to finish a half-marathon and a marathon.
Now my free time is consumed by three things: running, catching up on lost sleep, and catching up on the lost calories.
Saturday mornings which were once a time for sleeping in and reading good books or hanging out with the mini-munchkins are now filled with words like "hitting my wall, thirsty, knee hurts, avoid the hills, and kick it up!" Did I mention this all happens prior to 9am? Mid-day Saturdays are filled with lying very still, eating carbs out the wazoo and regretting that I won't paint those kitchen chairs this weekend.
Because the social life hasn't changed and keeps me up all night Friday, I have to sleep all day Saturday and Sunday to catch up on the hours lost. Now Tuesday, a.k.a the best day of the week because I don't EVER work, is consumed by sleeping. I just woke up. It was great. But the bathrooms didn't clean themselves. They are still in training.
The upside of this whole thing is I've found that no matter what or how much I eat while on this asanine training program to kick the concrete's butt, people still say to me "You look like you've lost weight." Funny... I haven't. And I haven't lost any inches either. The youthful glow radiating from my blistered feet is decieving. This has not been good for my pocketbook. I've spent more money at the local grocery store this month than on MY CAR PAYMENT. (No, I did not purchase copious amount of my favorite bottle of wine. lay off.)
In between all of this sleeping, running, and eating, Chris and I decided that it would be a good idea to train for a half-marathon again in the spring and to use the half-marathon to train for a full-marathon.
I wonder if this is what it feels like to lose my mind.

No comments: