12.04.2006

save the introverts!

I recently took up reading The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney on the indirect recommendation of an introverted friend. I've known for a while now that I am introvert. Over the years that fact has surprised people because I tend to be outgoing in public. But outgoing does not equal extrovert. Roommate will testify that I am definitely introverted. I am known for hunkering down in my room and saying little if unnecessary. It is just the way that I am.

I've only read the first half of the book that describes the physiological differences, but something has struck me.

Laney talks about the guilt and shame that many introverts carry for being introverted. Because introverts are outnumbered 3 to 1, they are misunderstood, mislabeled, and judged for being self-centered and withholding. I am pensive, but I am not self-centered. I say exactly what I mean, I think before I speak and there is little mystery with that.

Reading her book has given me insight into my various frustrations in personality differences. I tend to think about a problem and then make a decision about how I will approach the issue. When I explain the decision to others, they try to persuade me to see it another way. I become frustrated because I've already examined their perspective and am not in need of their opinion. I appear stubborn, but this is an inaccurate assessment because I have already turned the rocks presented to me.

I don't really need Laney's book to be an ego-booster (heaven knows that is unneeded!), rather I am appreciating the insight into the dynamics of my introversion and it's perception and affects on others.

No comments: