1.22.2007

i think i can, i think i can, i think i can

Saturday was a big day in the world of my running shoes. I kicked out a full five miles in 47.5 minutes. That is good for the non-athletic, non-professional butt kicker, non-competitor in me. I could have gone faster, but the desire to avoid freezing my lungs out in the brittle air kept me at an easy pace.

It was good to really get out there and show myself that running long distances isn't as hard as my imagination had made it out to be recently. I was able to quash a few of my irrational running fears (like that my neck would cramp up and I would fall off balance into a ditch or worse, train tracks). I was also able to enjoy being in the outdoors running.

Treadmill running is ridiculously monotonous. You can only watch so many episodes of cheesy do-it-yourself shows before you would rather lose three fingers to frostbite. The only redeeming aspect of treadmill running is the absolute control over speed. On Friday afternoon, I knew that I ran 3 miles in 24 minutes. That is REALLY good for me. I could push myself to that time because I could see what my exact pace was and I could watch my form in the nauseating mirror to the side.

But in the end, the outdoors beckon me. I can't wait for winter winds to subside calling in the springtime dew. I know it is bad form to wish parts of your life away, but I could really do without the rest of January.

1 comment:

Kacey said...

I'm so jealous. I wish I could run outside, because I'm afraid I've hit a "treadmill-running" wall and it pains me to even think about it. Can't wait for Nashville...oh sweet running trails...