1.23.2007

it's the most wonderful time of the year

I believe that it is a commonly known fact that this time of year is not exactly a walk through the park. Primarily because a walk through the park requires ten layers of extra clothing and will likely happen after dark because you leave for work at dawn and return at sunset.

Depression is something that has had an acute presence in my life since I was a teenager. At times it afflicted me and more often people very close to me. My life experience has given me a certain type of radar with depression and a sense of advocacy about it. I am very in tune with myself and make note of any consecutive days of blah. I want others to be in tune with themselves and to set aside the inane misconceptions about it.

A few days ago, I decided that any person I may marry in the distant future will have to survive at least to Januarys with me because I just hate the time of year. It is filled with post-tramautic Christmas stress syndrome and bills stacked to my ears. I've had people explain it to me and I try to explain it to myself. In general, though, I just don't like this time of year.

I know I am not alone in my sullen mood and I am not so sullen that it has decapitated my ability to function. (In fact, my to-do list making business is quite successful at the moment) Yet, my empathy for others who are fully entrenched in its cancerous wretch is quite high. I ran across this piece of (lengthy) writing yesterday and feel compelled to share. I hope that you can take the time to gain a better understanding (or bask in the empathy of another sufferer) of this very pervasive illness.

1 comment:

Nate said...

blogger works better w firefox on macs than safari. more stuff on the editing toolbar.

don't forget to smile. ;) jk.