7.18.2007

my favorite time of the year

There is something about the slowness of mid-July that makes me feel like a million bucks.

My favorite foods are bursting off the vines and bushes.

I can get up in the wee early morning hours and still be cool enough to run long distances (Unlike August when the tar boils all day and doesn't cool through the night).

The heat decreases my appetite and creates a need for an afternoon siesta. I love naps.

The pace at work allows for me to clean my office. This week I have rid my office closet of all things not mine which was the majority of the items in the closet. Hallelujah! They are gone!

The pace of life lends me time to read some great books. I'm reading "Girl meets God" by Lauren Winner which (despite a title that provokes images of teenaged girls anxious to meet their husband on their first day of college) is quite intelligent. The book must have been typed with magnetic ink because I can barely put it down. I've also read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy--a must read for all people everywhere. Don't argue with me. I've got Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking," Augustine's "Confessions," and Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" in the must read NOW pile.

Of course, all of this reading will be put on a standstill when Harry Potter comes out. Because HELLO! All normal human beings have been anticipating this book since book five was released.

I digress.

The main reason I love mid-July is the evening time. I love going for a slow walk through the neighborhood just as dusk is settling in. Peace and simplicity faintly waft through the air. I feel alive.

No comments: