8.28.2007

finishing touches

As you are well aware, I have sorted through every nook and cranny of my house, dejunking, reorganizing, and beautifying it. One of my lagging projects was the top of my dresser. It was a storehouse for anything to nice to be tossed on the floor and too average to be put away immediately. It looked like a space on hgtv where the host mocks the homeowner for their inability to see how awful it looked. I knew how awful it looked, but I was dragging my feet on doing anything about it. Mainly because doing something about it would entail hanging a very heavy large mirror and finding a different location to toss my too nice and too average items.

The other problem was the box collection. I've collected boxes or various shapes and sizes that store my growing collection of Kohl's clearance jewelry. The boxes are from different countries and often showcase a certain type of folk art unique to that country. They are beautiful, but individually too small to simply set on my dresser and not look like clutter. And on top of my dresser with a glass top, they would become dusty easily and I would have to look at it every time I pulled socks out of the drawer.

I contracted my sister for the project, my sister who is so thorough in planning, creating, and designing every aspect of her life that even the bad decisions were plotted down to the type of sock she would wear with her casual, but semi-dressy when worn with the jeans with a crease down the leg brown shoes. It is for this very reason that she is the perfect person to help me create a space in my newly cleaned out bedroom. Anal creativity always wins.

Within three hours and a Target run, I had a well organized dresser-top. Instead of hanging the heavy mirror and boring large holes into my rented walls, we leaned it against the wall. It is heavy enough, you can barely move it without asking the incredible hulk for some lifting assistance. I can safely say it isn't going anywhere. We bought a few shelving pieces at Target to display my collection of boxes. Now they are stashed on my wall next to the dresser in a way that makes them look like pieces in a museum. I love art museums, so living in one is a dream come true. I bought a real live orchid (God help it) to put in the corner.

My dresser looks phenomenal even if I am the only person who regularly looks at it. Since I have droned on about a six square feet of space for nearly five hundred words (you've been thrilled reading every one of them, I am certain), it is only due and proper that I also include a photographic documentation of this carefully planned space.

Viola!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sis, thanks to careful planning and anal creativity, your dresser looks great and my socks match my brown shoes and semi-cas jeans with the crease down the front. High five :)