10.15.2008

transitions lenses

I often twinge with pity for the kid whose parents bought them transitions lenses for their glasses. On one hand, they are crazy cool. They turn into sunglasses when it is bright. On the other hand, they are ├╝ber geeky. You can't control when they decide to transition to dark lenses. It might be at the outdoor track meet or it might be during math class. The worst is the in-between mode when they are only a little shady and seem like somebody hasn't wiped them clean in years.

Those lenses remind me a lot of life transition, something that is on overload in my ministry setting these days. We are facing great changes to our congregational ministry and it is both exciting (sunglasses and regular glasses at once!!) and disheartening (but I don't want SUNglasses in math class!!). Two of our pastors followed the call to new ministries. Our facilities (including our offices) are in flux. Our governance is under serious revision. Job descriptions may change. Relationships to staff members will change. New positions have been created.

The lenses that I see my ministry through can't seem to decide on their tone. Are they sunglasses or clear glasses? Are they something in between? What if I don't like the transition taken on by the lenses? What if I don't fit in with the ministry transitions in my midst?

Transition is uncontrollable and overwhelming. And yet regardless of the changes and transition, one thing remains the same: the frame. The lenses, the transitions, the changes in life fit inside the framework. My framework for ministry, for life is Christ. That stability brings me peace.
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
Ephesians 2:19-22

No comments: