4.22.2010

don't whore out my human rights

Yes. I said that. And I meant it. Because I am A-N-G-R-Y. Because I read this. Did you know that vacation is a human right? It is in Brussels.

Maybe I sat through one too many U2 concerts in which the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights was read.

Maybe I know too well that actual human rights are violated on a daily basis right underneath our self-righteously entitled noses.

Maybe I think that the concept of human right, though a secular conception, has a sacred value, a value bestowed upon us when we were created in the image of the living and eternal God.

When we declare the right to vacation a human right and deem it equal to the right to freedom of thought, right to life, liberty and security of person, and the right to be free from slavery or servitude, we demean the value of human rights. We demean the plight of those whose rights are violated. We demean what it means to be human.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Alaina, that makes me angry too!!

Very well articulated: "we demean what it means to be human" by asserting that a vacation is a human right...