Have no fear. I have all the party-planning details RIGHT HERE.
Step 1 Have awesome friends. Their awesomeness can been enhanced if you prime them with several years of inane themed parties (think: Caribbean Christmas! Godfather Movie Marathons! Port Party!).
Step 2 Develop a reputation as a reliably good cook. Where there is food, friends will come.
Step 3 Don't over plan. Truly insane ideas should come out of left-field and at the last minute so no one will have a chance to question the insanity.
Step 4 Send out crazy instructions. FriendAmie was responsible for ours:
Please bring the following:
- your favorite fact about artichokes - it will be required for entrance
- a dish that somehow involves artichokes and is delicious
- at least one play on word joke involving artichokes. please wait for the appropriate time to share.
- an artichoke inspired outfit (optional)Please do not bring the following:
- disdain for themed parties. you should know by now that if you are friends with Alaina, you have to embrace themed events.
Step 5 Have truly great friends that will decorate cakes with artichoke effigies:
Yes, that is an artichoke cake. Actually it was a delicious white cake filled with KUMQUAT icing!
Step 6 Have hilarious friends that will drive around town to find rare Italian artichoke liquor.
Step 7 Enjoy all of the stupidity and fun with those great friends. (Our hosts rigged up a backyard screen and projector where we watched The Wedding Singer. There weren't any artichoke references, but you can't beat root beer floats on a late spring night accompanied by the 80s best attempts at music and Adam Sandler.)
We had such a good time laughing about artichokes that we are dreaming up our next odd food tribute party. Ideas? Best suggestion wins an opened bottle of Cynar!