3.18.2011

feed me, seymour!

When I was in college, I read a little book called Fast Food Nation. I read it in bed at night while my roommate finished her musicology homework. This was a mistake of massive proportions. Consequences included food-related nightmares, bedtime nausea, and a roommate that thought I was insane.

No one likes to have nightmares about food.

The long-term effects of reading Fast Food Nation at nighttime is that I have no desire whatsoever to read/watch/consider any contemporary iteration of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle.  Food, Inc.?  No, thanks. Omnivore's Dilemma? I'm sure it's thoroughly informative, but I have nightmares enough without information. Informing my food nightmares would be like Seymour feeding his man-eating plant.

Even still, reading Fast Food Nation is likely the most life-changing non-fiction book I've read that had nothing to do with Jesus. It didn't just give me nightmares, it changed the way I go to the grocery store. It taught me to think critically about what I put into my mouth. It challenged me to eat with higher standards, to see food beyond its utilitarian nourishment of my body.

If you haven't read such a book, get on it. Or I might give into Audrey II's demands.

Okay, maybe not.

--

This post is written as a contribution to a friendly synchroblog. Please check out the writing and art of my fellow bloggers.

adventuresofalisha, Eat, Bake, Love
iwritetoberidofthings, the bad bag of cuties
M, Food
muddleddreamer, They don't call it the big white dress for nothing
Nightsbrightdays, Fish Food
Wordshepherd, The Meat of the Hunt

2 comments:

muddleddreamer said...

Hm...ignorance is bliss? *happily munches french fries...then, remembering her diet, sadly pushes them away*

Vanessa said...

My next goal in life post-PhD...to become a "foodie!"