5.13.2011

the mighty life list: under revision

A long time ago, I set out to tackle some simple and some grand things in life that I’ve always wanted to accomplish. I even did some of them. It was so self-inspiring (crossing things off of a list happens to be one of my most-enjoyed mundane things) that I tackled the grand-daddy of the list: going back to school. That project is still in work and has basically debilitated me from even thinking about anything else on the list.

Today is the first day of summer hiatus that reminds me of my days off from church work: empty house, loosely structured to do list (run, write, eat), and no reason to wash my face. Apparently that was the perfect combination to remind me of all of the things that I still want to with my life. I don’t mean this melodramatically, rather that I want to find the simple things that bring me joy.

My list could use some revisions. There are a lot of things that I want to “see” on my current list. I still want to see them, but I have been rethinking the role that travel plays in my life and I haven’t quite settled on how that will change their presence on my list. Living far away from many of my nearest and dearest has been a challenging balancing act this year and I believe that some effort towards a better balance should be there. I’ve also grown a new set of theological and social commitments that need a place next to the things that bring me creative and relational joy. Lastly, I am swapping out some of the books that I thought I wanted to read for the books that I actually brought with me to Durham to read.

I’m not going to set out to make these revisions hastily, but pensively and slowly. The whole point of the list is to help me live more fully into myself and I am a slow and pensive one. I’m posting the list as it currently stands (confessedly, I made a few changes this morning). Suggestions, comments, reflections (but only the sincere and helpful kind, I’m sensitive) are welcome.  

What would/do you have your list?

  1. attend graduate school full time  
  2. bike the wineries along Katy Trail
  3. solve mystery eye allergy problem
  4. dance with a famous salsero, yet to be determined
  5. be a kicka** MOH to my sister
  6. Take pictures that friends would like on their walls
  7. Have photo taken by noah kalina or scott schuman
  8. Go on a backpacking/overnight hike
  9. Make 100 soups from scratch
    1. chicken noodle
    2. Make Gazpacho ala Concha
    3. minestrone
    4. beef barley
    5. potato leek
  10. Go on a Silent Retreat
  11. Write thank you letters to my favorite teachers
  12. Grow, Can, and Eat Vegetables
  13. Help someone realize their dreams
  14. learn how to bike to work on a daily basis
  15. Re-learn how to sew
  16. Learn to Crochet or Knit
  17. Take up Vermiculture composting
  18. Mentor a young person
  19. successfully manage finances Going the poor grad student route!
  20. Read The Stranger in August and Franny and Zooey in October
  21. find someone to share life with
  22. learn to dance salsa on2  not great, but i can do it!
  23. attend multi-day music festival
  24. take a watercolor painting class
  25. take a photography class
  26. Write a book that more than just my mother will read
  27. read all of the books on my shelves
    1. Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao
    2. I and Thou
    3. Christ and Culture
    4. Heart of Darkness
    5. What we talk about when we talk about love
    6. The Spare room
  28. learn how to bake bread
  29. eat ice cream for dinner at least once a year with Becky T if possible (2008, 2009, 2010)
  30. Go paragliding
  31. Live more sustainably
  32. Read the Bible cover to cover
  33. See U2 live as many times as possible
    1. September 09 Chicago!
    2. October 09 Las Vegas!
    3. July 2011, St. Louis!
  34. Get to know North Carolina
  35. Go to an authentic bluegrass festival/concert in NC
  36. Go camping in NC
  37. Hike in the Appalachian Mountains
  38. watch the bell tower bell player at Duke
  39. cheer at a duke basketball game
  40. Listen to all of that music in my itunes!
  41. Throw parties to celebrate friend's accomplishments
    1. Don't be a dip, bring a dip! Lindsay's going to MU!
  42. See Chuck Berry in the Duck Room April 14, 2010, it was amazing and endearing!
  43. Hike El Camino de Santiago
  44. sail the Grecian Islands
  45. Go on a sister trip every few years (other people can come too)
    1. 2009--Chicago U2!
    2. 2010--Cincinatti Flying Pig, Operation Bull Durham
    3. 2010--Operation Move me to Durham
    4. 2011--C&K visit NC
  46. visit the MOMA in NYC
  47. Check off the last 8 states on my list:
    1. Maine
    2. New Hampshire
    3. Vermont
    4. Connecticut
    5. Rhode Island
    6. North Dakota (?)
    7. Hawaii
    8. Alaska
  48. hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up
  49. Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
  50. Visit the Holy Land
  51. see the taj mahal
  52. visit the pyramids
  53. Drink a Mojito in Cuba
  54. See the Northern Lights
  55. hike to Machu Pichu
  56. Make 1000 wonderful things
    1. tshirt scarf
    2. mojitos
    3. painting on the wall
    4. streusel topped banana bread cobbler http://bakingbites.com/2010/02/streusel-topped-banana-bread-cobbler/#more-4294
    5. Godfather spaghetti sauce
    6. stuffed artichokes for the Artichoke Party!
    7. Red Pepper Stuffed Fougasse
    8. Megan's present for Pavel
    9. Lemon Curd Blueberry Ring
    10. 7-Cheese Mac-N-Cheese


1 comment:

Kristen said...

Love this list, Alaina! Love, love, love it! Now, I want to start a life long list, but I guess I should focus on my 30 Before I'm 30 first... http://www.joyfullythriving.com/2011/04/30-before-im-30/